Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Food Network Fix

I recently decided that I like capers. I feel like this is strange because they're just so wonderfully salty and bitter...right?


Since Ross and I don't have cable, I have to get my Food Network fix via the web. I actually don't mind it at all because the videos streamed on their website are short and sweet with the recipe following. It's a nice, forward movement from watching a 30 minute cooking show.

Ellie Krieger's "Rustic Puttanesca Pasta" recipe is like a dream come true. Her recipe combines capers, marinated olives and tomatoes with pasta. What could be better?

(P.S. Have I mentioned before how much I adore pasta?)


I'll admit I skipped the anchovy paste. It's not because I was scared to use it, I just could not find it at the grocery store. In fact, I even day dreamed about making home-made caesar dressing with my tube of anchovy paste! Oh well.


I also skipped the arugula (I forgot to buy it.) But honestly, this pasta was to die for! I can't imagine it tasting any better than how it turned out. It was so simple and light. The fresh oregano might be the most important ingredient, it balances out the saltiness of the olives and capers.


Amendments to Ellie's recipe:
No anchovy paste
No arugula
No parsley (because parsley hardly contributes to such a flavorful dish anyway)
Substitute fresh, grape tomatoes for canned tomatoes

Fun Fact: "Pasta alla puttanesca" literally means "whore's style pasta" in italian.


I'll be legitimately sad when this pasta is all gone.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover