Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Back to the Homeland

I'll tell you a little something about what exactly has kept me so darned giddy over the past few weeks: I am officially in Austin for the holidays.


{Yippee!}

I'll visit with my family, spend time with each of our long lost friends and indulge in Austin's finest food trucks, restaurants and dive bars.  

I'll give you a sneak peek of what my first 24 hours back in Texas entailed:


Pappasito's Cantina in the Houston airport is a Sholtis family tradition. I started traveling via airplane at the ripe old age of 6 months old, so I've spent plenty of time in America's finest airports and in particular Houston Hobby. If you have a layover at this airport you can't miss out on the mexican food. It holds up to many of the "authentic" joints found throughout the southwest and it certainly doesn't disappoint those looking for a Tex-Mex fix before jumping on the next plane out of Texas.


After landing in Austin, I promptly laced up my tennis shoes and went for a walk through my all-time favorite neighborhood, Barton Hills.  This neighborhood hold so many memories for me. My grandfather still lives in the house they moved into when my mother was just 5 years old. What's more? The neighbors and church goers recognize my brothers and me from our childhood. The houses are unique and the oak trees are older and taller than any you've ever seen. It's quite charming, don't you think?


I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to visit my old stomping grounds, Four Seasons Hotel Austin.  The Hotel's lobby is decorated from top to bottom and features a month-long gingerbread village display created by the Hotel's Pastry Shop.  This year's village exhibits confectionary creations such as the UT Tower, Broken Spoke and many other Austin staples.

Needless to say I've taken full advantage of my first 24 hours in Austin.

Happy Holidays!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover