Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Words of Advice

Two years ago, I didn't know even what Kale was. Hell, I had never even heard the word. Still to this day, I don't remember what sparked my interest in food. But nevertheless, I set out on an learning adventure. I have crammed my brain with books about whole nutrition, food processing, government regulations on food, food as medicine and herbal remedies. But about a year ago, I realized that "Yeah, I know a helluva lot about food and I haven't changed anything about my eating habits." I knew what I should be eating, and what I shouldn't. But I was still eating the most convenient things and in turn, I still felt sick all the time. Sick as in lethargic, slow, fatigued, cranky, and depressed.

I have lots of reasons why I didn't change overnight: food is family, food is home, food is comforting, food is addicting. I'm not gonna lie, the only way you're going to change your eating habits is by putting in enormous effort. Once you experience the health benefits of whole nutrition, you won't turn back. I promise. All of a sudden, that Twinkie won't be so worth it. Unless of course, you made it from scratch. In which case, I hope you'd make enough to share. Remember I never promised you skinny, I promised you healthy.

The best piece of advice I have learned along the way is "stick to the perimeter". And I have found this advice in so many food books and documentaries despite the main subject matter. But what does this phrase mean? It means that when you are in the grocery store, avoid the center aisles. The aisles, the bulk of the grocery store, are usually filled with processed and packaged foods. You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones with ingredients you can't pronounce. Whole foods (not processed) are usually positioned in the perimeter of every grocery store. These are foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, fresh bread, and butcher meats. Real food. And look, I've done my time at the Piggly Wiggly and this rule still remains true. You don't need a Whole Foods Market to eat right. The closer you can stick to the perimeter, the better off you are. If you have to venture into the aisles, read the ingredients carefully.

I hope you find this advice helpful.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover