Monday, November 26, 2012

Perfect Brussels

Brussels sprouts hold a very special place in my heart.  


They have such an interesting taste and texture that complement so many staple dishes, namely a hearty steak or crispy fish.  I honestly wish I would have added them to my dinner side dish rotation much sooner because they're so easy to cook and taste perfect every time.  

I'd have to say that they were kind of a scary food for me growing up, they just didn't quite look like a vegetable I would swoon over...but oh was I wrong. As far as I can recall, these tasty little bites never crossed my plate as a child. We stuck mostly to green beans, asparagus and english peas as our green side dishes at the dinner table.  It must not have been until I tasted the Crispy Brussels appetizer at TRIO in Austin that I fell head over heels with brussels and kicked my old stand by green sides to the curb.

So rather than trying to recreate what was a seemingly flawless recipe, I simply tried to find one that was comparable and relatively healthy. When I found this recipe from Real Simple I knew I'd found the perfect make-at-home alternative.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Lemon
Since there are just two of us I cut this recipe in half, then cut the butter in half again. You truly don't need much butter because they have a naturally buttery flavor after roasting in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil. 

And the lemon...oh the lemon! It's the icing on the cake.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover