Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Granny's Cole Slaw

In the past two years, I have slowly started to outgrow my immature pallet. I was one of those children who grew up demanding chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, and any other “white food” I could think of. I swear just a few years ago, you couldn’t catch me talking about cabbage, much less eating it. I undoubtedly claimed that I didn’t like anything remotely healthy, especially vegetables.

As it turns out, I like most foods. I just hadn't given them a fair chance since age seven (sorry mom).

Now that I’m all grown up, I have really wanted to find a good coleslaw recipe. Cabbage is wonderfully cheap so I thought it would be perfect for my freshmen year in the real world. As always, all the recipes I found were too complicated and called for at least 10 ingredients...and let’s be honest, I just can’t afford that. Nor do I have the patience.

You may think this is my grandmother's recipe from way back when, but my grandmother's name isn't Granny. Ross introduced me to this simple recipe from his Granny and I just cannot get enough of it.

You will need:

  • 4 cups white cabbage
  • 1 cup purple cabbage
  • Mayo
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Pepper


Pick up some purple and white cabbage from your local farmer’s market. Slice and bruise the cabbage by squeezing and cracking it in your fists. Bruising helps the cabbage become softer to eat once it marinates with the other ingredients. If you like your slaw crunchier, you can skip this step. Add a couple tablespoons of mayonnaise and red wine vinegar, just enough to coat the cabbage. If you like creamier cole slaw, add more of these ingredients. Add the sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. Let the slaw marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, the longer you can let it stand the better.



This recipe is great because it is delicious (and with only 6 ingredients!) but can also be adapted. Add edamame, carrots, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and ginger for an Asian slaw...or cilantro, corn, and lime for a Southwestern slaw. Get creative with this recipe and share your favorite adaptation with us.

Enjoy!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover